Keane
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile     SURF SAFE Do you know how to surf safely? Click here for our guide
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Equipment

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Keane Forum Index -> Ask The Band A Question
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChrisFlynn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 12:10 am    Post subject: Equipment Reply with quote

What equipment do you guys use? I think it's a Yamaha piano and Richard uses Pearl drums, with Zildjian cymbals - is that right? Any specifics? :p

Cheers Smile

Have you heard Beyond The Iron Sea?
Subscribe now on iTunes or listen at beyondtheironsea.com
tim

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 12:36 am    Post subject: equipment Reply with quote

at some point i think we might try to outline what gear we've used in the reording of the album and for live stuff...there's a lot of it! but in short, i use a yamaha cp70b electric piano, which is an old 1970s/80s piano with real strings and everything that breaks into two parts and is incredibly heavy but sounds wonderful. i also use an arp pro/dgx synth for lead sounds on she has no time and sunshine, among others. on the album i used lots of other keyboards, which was fun...eg real pianos, rhodes pianos, siel and solina string machines, hohner pianet, juno 6, dx7, moog rogue and harmonium. and my trusty old yamaha psr48 of course. also fender jazz and precision basses. and various computery things. i'll leave drums to richard...!
ChrisFlynn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 1:06 am    Post subject: Re: equipment Reply with quote

tim wrote:
at some point i think we might try to outline what gear we've used in the reording of the album and for live stuff...there's a lot of it! but in short, i use a yamaha cp70b electric piano, which is an old 1970s/80s piano with real strings and everything that breaks into two parts and is incredibly heavy but sounds wonderful. i also use an arp pro/dgx synth for lead sounds on she has no time and sunshine, among others. on the album i used lots of other keyboards, which was fun...eg real pianos, rhodes pianos, siel and solina string machines, hohner pianet, juno 6, dx7, moog rogue and harmonium. and my trusty old yamaha psr48 of course. also fender jazz and precision basses. and various computery things. i'll leave drums to richard...!

Heh, cheers!

PSRs ruled - I still use my PSR220 loads.

Ah, you so are you the one who plays bass then? I've often wondered, cos I know there's bass samples on Last Time and Everybody's Changing when you play live.

And how exactly does the computery stuff work? It's been 8months since I saw you live, but I seem to remember a mixer kinda thing on top of the piano with a flatscreen monitor which showed a sequencer (Cubase, or Protools?). And there was a light on said mixer which I noticed flashed in time. Am I right in thinking that (for example on Everybody's Changing), Richard has to look over and gets a bar or so from the light, then clicks in another 4 (cos the phaser sample thing comes in on the 3rd beat)? Or is the sequencer triggered from Richard? Or am I completely wrong? :p

Haha, sorry if I've scared you - I just like to know how things works Smile

Yeah, I seem to remember watching you set up at Mbro Music Live, and bringing the piano on being the big ritual Very Happy

By the way, thanks for the plug on the site for my tabs site - I got about 300 hits on Sunday Very Happy

richard
Band Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 12:42 am    Post subject: Re: equipment Reply with quote

Chris, you're welcome - thanks for doing the tabs and the faqs - if only we were as efficient.

i thought i'd try to answer some of your questions about equipment and live stuff. the g4 runs logic and plays some bass and the odd bit of strings. the bass is either guitar or keyboard mainly, and played by tim, and we play along with it. i don't trigger any samples at the moment, and i get a click in my earphones to play to. it's high conga / low conga (sounds like "boop / boop") and it drives me mad. the mixer on the piano just lets tim adjust the volume of the click for me, as i have my hands tied most of the time.

since we signed our record deal i have got some new drums - the lovely green pearl export kit that i've had since 1995 has been retired to my room, and i have a lovely white marine pearl yamaha "maple custom absolute nouveau" kit that you can see in the diary. it's bloody lovely. stop me if i'm boring you, but it's a 12 inch rack tom, 14 and 16 floor toms, 13 snare and 22 kick. i have a set of zildjian K's at the moment, but i'm trying out some sabians too. i also have a tamborine to my right. i mainly use remo coated ambassador heads.

hope this answers the questions - tim's the man for the really technical stuff though! pass the buck? me?

richard
ChrisFlynn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: equipment Reply with quote

Thanks again for the comprehensive reply, I really appreciate it Smile I'm gonna put it in the FAQ and a link to this topic if you don't mind Smile

Love the new kit by the way - I assume the mega kit with two bass drums, 500cymbals and a Chinese gong doesn't come until after the 2nd album? :p

weeder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: equipment Reply with quote

richard wrote:

since we signed our record deal i have got some new drums - the lovely green pearl export kit that i've had since 1995 has been retired to my room, and i have a lovely white marine pearl yamaha "maple custom absolute nouveau" kit that you can see in the diary. it's bloody lovely. stop me if i'm boring you, but it's a 12 inch rack tom, 14 and 16 floor toms, 13 snare and 22 kick. i have a set of zildjian K's at the moment, but i'm trying out some sabians too. i also have a tamborine to my right. i mainly use remo coated ambassador heads.

richard

do you deal with gavin at yamaha drums? top bloke
richard
Band Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, Gavin's been a massive help - especially helping arrange a kit for north america.
MarkPils

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:58 am    Post subject: Remix Reply with quote

Just wondering what the band's view would be if I remixed one of their tracks ?
I have some crackin' bits of equipment and am always looking for 'projects' - it's only a hobby but I've had some of my tunes played out in clubs and the feedback has been very positive.
(if you're agreeable to this, I'd very much like to send you the CD or MiniDisc for your opinions)

I wanted to ask before I made a start - it's the decent thing to do.............

BTW, are you guys ever going to play in Cambridge, UK ?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Keane Forum Index -> Ask The Band A Question All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: