Keane
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile     SURF SAFE Do you know how to surf safely? Click here for our guide
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Keane hire a stylist before releasing a record"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Keane Forum Index -> Keane Chatter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KTP521

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe they just enhanced their genuine-ness and not created some look to make them cool... just sort of made their genuine-ness look good, or brought it out. Like someone said, who wants to look like **** in front of people/the public? Sometimes you might need a little help/advice.
KTP521

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus, the majority of stuff we see these days is all made-up and perfected anyway... I mean, there hardly is "Real" stuff anymore. Granted there are exceptions, but I'm sure we never see that stuff on TV most of the time... thats like underground stuff, or stuff that isnt prettified for TV/our viewing pleasure. So although Keane are awsome guys, they're not totally there... we see what they give us, and Im sure theyre not all like shy, sensetive 24/7... OK i lost my trail of thought
scatterbrain.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTP521 wrote:
Maybe they just enhanced their genuine-ness and not created some look to make them cool... just sort of made their genuine-ness look good, or brought it out. Like someone said, who wants to look like **** in front of people/the public? Sometimes you might need a little help/advice.

I agree... we all need some help sometimes! And like ChrisFlynn said, it IS about the music and stylist or not, i would definitely support and appreciate them 110%.
KTP521

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I definetly still love the hell out of them : ) Their music's wicked good and they really are great guys
tim
Band Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:44 pm    Post subject: KEANE v. Petridis Reply with quote

Dear everyone,

We're pretty angry about the article in The Guardian today by Alexis Petridis in which he bizarrely chooses to use Keane as an illustration of how all bands today are manufactured.

Even though most people in the media have been extremely kind to us in the last couple of years, we've nonetheless become used to the odd poor review and snide comment. Generally our approach is to try to ignore all media coverage of the band, good and bad, and get on with playing gigs and writing songs. However, when someone chooses to present as the truth a series of lies and wild inaccuracies about the way we are as people and as a band, we feel unable to just sit here and shrug our shoulders.

Mr Petridis' account of how our band has been shaped and polished by image consultants, media trainers and stylists is so stupidly inaccurate as to actually be vaguely amusing. It's hard to tell whether his story is founded on some inexplicable malice or merely incompetent research, but he has certainly been very creative. The suggestion that Moving Brands had anything to do with creating an image or ethos for the band is offensive and ridiculous. The idea that we might have been sat down to conduct mock interviews is bordering on hilarious. Our one tentative brush with someone who brought us free clothes to wear felt so awkward and uncomfortable that we vowed never to do it again. Finally, Alex lake is not an employee of Moving Brands, nor is he any kind of image consultant; he is a trusted friend, sometime roadie and independent photographer who has taken many excellent shots of the band and with us has designed most of our record sleeves.

The journalist's conclusion that many so-called indie bands are in fact manufactured products may well be correct for all I know. However,
Keane is not one of those bands. I doubt there are many bands out there who have less to do with the strange world of manufactured pop than us. I doubt there is any band out there that has more complete artistic control and independence in everything it does. I don't know of any band out there that has waited and worked for longer to have its moment in the spotlight. And I don't understand how a supposedly music-loving journalist can whinge about the lack of integrity in British music and at the same time bemoan the success of a band of childhood friends that writes intensely personal songs, controls all its artistic output, and rejects styling or branding of any kind. Our image, if we have one, has been shaped only by me, Tom and Richard and the songs we write.

Tim
minibar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said, and reflective of what most of us boardies believe. While I normally think press comments in general should be left out of this site, this went to the core and you addressed it beautifully. Thank you!
kristen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful. Thanks for clearing that up, and putting any q's to bed!
Speeble

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well said, Tim, and thank you for taking the time to post that and clear it up. I'm glad that ya'll aren't "shaped" by any outside person or company. In my opinion, and probably alot of other people would agree, ya'll have a great "image". Please, never change it.

Richard: "Keane fried my brain... In a good way, right? Not in a crazy, murderous, serial killer way..."

Last edited by Speeble on Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:31 am; edited 1 time in total
ohiofan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did I ever mention how much I love Keane, and to quote Bridget Jones, just as they are? icon_joy icon_love icon_headfones
JennyBean

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is way over my head... icon_dizzy
Richard: Uhhhm.
Drinky: OK.

Rich Bitch #6
JennyBean

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: KEANE v. Petridis Reply with quote

tim wrote:
Dear everyone,

We're pretty angry about the article in The Guardian today by Alexis Petridis in which he bizarrely chooses to use Keane as an illustration of how all bands today are manufactured.

Even though most people in the media have been extremely kind to us in the last couple of years, we've nonetheless become used to the odd poor review and snide comment. Generally our approach is to try to ignore all media coverage of the band, good and bad, and get on with playing gigs and writing songs. However, when someone chooses to present as the truth a series of lies and wild inaccuracies about the way we are as people and as a band, we feel unable to just sit here and shrug our shoulders.

Mr Petridis' account of how our band has been shaped and polished by image consultants, media trainers and stylists is so stupidly inaccurate as to actually be vaguely amusing. It's hard to tell whether his story is founded on some inexplicable malice or merely incompetent research, but he has certainly been very creative. The suggestion that Moving Brands had anything to do with creating an image or ethos for the band is offensive and ridiculous. The idea that we might have been sat down to conduct mock interviews is bordering on hilarious. Our one tentative brush with someone who brought us free clothes to wear felt so awkward and uncomfortable that we vowed never to do it again. Finally, Alex lake is not an employee of Moving Brands, nor is he any kind of image consultant; he is a trusted friend, sometime roadie and independent photographer who has taken many excellent shots of the band and with us has designed most of our record sleeves.

The journalist's conclusion that many so-called indie bands are in fact manufactured products may well be correct for all I know. However,
Keane is not one of those bands. I doubt there are many bands out there who have less to do with the strange world of manufactured pop than us. I doubt there is any band out there that has more complete artistic control and independence in everything it does. I don't know of any band out there that has waited and worked for longer to have its moment in the spotlight. And I don't understand how a supposedly music-loving journalist can whinge about the lack of integrity in British music and at the same time bemoan the success of a band of childhood friends that writes intensely personal songs, controls all its artistic output, and rejects styling or branding of any kind. Our image, if we have one, has been shaped only by me, Tom and Richard and the songs we write.

Tim

Well said, Tim, thank you. icon_hug
Richard: Uhhhm.
Drinky: OK.

Rich Bitch #6
maryblue10

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can imagine how furstrating it must be to be in the media sometimes.
Thanks Tim.

www.myspace.com/maryblue10
mallory.

Location: Awaiting the "Rock and Roll beast" - or San Antonio, TX

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tim for clearing this article up. It's a shame that Mr. Petridis, for some reason, feels the need to make a hit at the band--possibly a lack of success or self-esteem in his own life. Maybe because he can't face the fact that you really are the nice guys you seem to be.
superradcliff

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahhhh just one more reason to love tim Smile

now grow out your hair. (only joking only joking!!!!!)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
KTP521

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go Tim. I hope what I said wasn't too offensive... it wasn't meant to be. But know you have lots of people behind you. Thanks for writing in.
~Tina
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Keane Forum Index -> Keane Chatter All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: