Keane
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile     SURF SAFE Do you know how to surf safely? Click here for our guide
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Keane On Gonzo on MTV2 on Thursday the 22nd
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TTRMassiveFan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2QueenBee wrote:
Looby Lou wrote:
did you all hear Richard talking in the interview about & I quote him: -

"the forum on our website being really positive about stuff"

icon_hug for Richard

Yay! icon_joy (Positive, and stark raving mad! But they seem to like us this way!) icon_google

WE R THE BEST.

"I'm covered in Bees" Eddie Izzard
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ChrisFlynn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna do a transcript...will be done 'soon'.

Have you heard Beyond The Iron Sea?
Subscribe now on iTunes or listen at beyondtheironsea.com
rubber_soul

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn it!! I missed it! I was out all day yesterday and got home about 9. Crying or Very sad
Looby Lou

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisFlynn wrote:

This is why we love you unconditionally Mr. Flynn! icon_hug

PS. can I call you Errol? Embarassed
rubber_soul

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looby Lou wrote:
ChrisFlynn wrote:

Laughing that amused me!
ChrisFlynn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looby Lou wrote:
ChrisFlynn wrote:

If you want... :p

God, this is painstacking - I never realised how quickly Zane Lowe speaks, how bad my immediate short term memory is, and how much of a perfectionist I am; I've spent an hour on it so far and I haven't even got to the end of the 2nd bit yet!

Looby Lou

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bless you Errol, sorry Chris
no pressure though......tick, tock, tick tock..... Laughing

where does Zane Lowe come from, his accent is a bit ????
Drinky

Location: Whenever I'm not on the forum, everyone should be asking: 'Where's Drinky?'

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisFlynn wrote:

If it were appropriate for me to call you darling, I would. As its not, I'll say thanks for saving me doing it Smile
Drinky

Location: Whenever I'm not on the forum, everyone should be asking: 'Where's Drinky?'

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looby Lou wrote:
bless you Errol, sorry Chris
no pressure though......tick, tock, tick tock..... Laughing

where does Zane Lowe come from, his accent is a bit ????

New Zealand. His attempts at talking in time with music have started to become fewer and further between, but they still annoy.
Looby Lou

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Drinky, just struck me as very odd last night, he needs to slow down a bit when he talks aswell Confused
funnyface

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah New zealand, glad tom managed to get in a gloat about the rugby!!
rubber_soul

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn.. is there nowhere we can view it again? Online maybe?
Looby Lou

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bits of it are reapeated over the weekend Jess, look out for Best of Gonzo from time to time on MTV2 Smile
ChrisFlynn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looby Lou wrote:
thanks Drinky, just struck me as very odd last night, he needs to slow down a bit when he talks aswell Confused

You just try and type as fast at that - it's impossible!

ChrisFlynn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Words in <>s are where they've been censored - Gonzo show a word in it's place on the screen.

Not sure about spellings of words which preceed the (?)s.

<Beasties Boys - Ch-Ch-Check It Out>

Zane: Round of applause for our very special guests, ladies and gentlemen - you wanted to see it - Keane on the couch, it's very good of you to join us.
Richard: It's a pleasure
Z: That's the smallest applause you guys have had for a very long time isn't it?
R: You'd be surprised
Tim: Since we last played a gig
Z: Er...day off today - semi day off, Gonzo's not really work is it?
R: I don't think any of it's particularly sort of proper work actually...
Z: That's the attitude. Let's talk day jobs, let's get straight to nuts and bolts; what were you doing before you signed the deal and were able to quit - what was keeping you busy?
Tim: ....Er... I was working at...
Z: Oh, with a bit of gusto!
Tim: Yeah, you really want to do this job!, er no, it was just an office job - putting numbers into a computer
Z: Crunching...
Tim: It was really boring
Z: Richard?
R: Er, I was a secretary
Z: Woo! It's a very underrated male occupation, secretary.
R: It was cool actually, cos my boss er, was female, so it was kind of turning the whole er oldschool thing on its head.
Z: Oh excellent! Right on! And were you her <dog>?
R: I don't think I even understand that.
Z: Did you have a dayjob?
Tom: I worked in the same office as Tim actually
Z: Right on
Tom: So our only saving grace was being able to sort of write stupid emails to each other all day.
Tim: I was a bit higher up that you - I got a chair
Z: Yeah, but he's the lead singer so who got the last laugh, you know. At the end of the day...
Tim: The audience
Z: It's been interesting for you guys since you came out with the brand new album, it's a very honest record in terms of what you guys are, and who you guys are, and it's a very love and hate thing. I think an incredible amount of people love it, and a certain amount of people really don't. Er has it surprised you, the level of, the sort of the polar reaction that you got?
Tim: Yes
R: I think the number of people that have gone out and bought the record surprised us
Z: Yeah
Tom: I always find it slightly surprising that people can hate us SO much as well, on the other side of things, just cos erm it's not you know... even if you're really not into our kind of music, you couldn't really say it's THAT bad.
Z: You've crafted some songs man, there's no doubt about it you know, and when I first heard the record I missed the guitar - I have to be honest - I missed the guitars, but you know, what you guys are doing and the album that you've made and I'm gonna say this now cos there's a lot of kids out there watching this, who are dying for me to go "You <really> suck" and I'm not going to say that cos I really like your record and I think it's really strong, and the songs you've made...
R: Hi guys! *waves*
Z: *laughs* Excellent! But you know what, that's why it was made album of the week on Radio1, because there are songs,and people like them, and it has been successful, hasn't it? Like you say it's surpassed your expectations in terms of sales and stuff?
R: Totally. But you know, songs is what it's about for us, so that's what we try to do.
Tim: And that's what most people want I think. There are so many... there's so much bad music around, and there's lots of great music, but I think also there's a bit of a dearth of really good songwriting around. I think people are really hungry to hear songs that actually move them and make them feel, sort of emotionally...
Z: That's the truth. And it's a more simple equation than worrying about what you look like and everything else
Tom: We don't worry about that...
Z: But I have to say, that the lack of image has worked for the people who enjoy your music, who have gone out and bought them, like you say, even the album title "Hopes and Fears" says it all doesn't it, you're not realy pulling anything back.
Tom: I think people can identify with the fact that we're not in some kind of weird elite clique or something...
Z: Well, you never asked to join that club did you, so why should you bother trying to justify your entering to anybody.
Tom: I think the music is so honest and about real things and real life experiences, and not about crusing down highways in LA and that kind of thing...
Z: Next record...
Tom: They can relate to it... Later!
Z: Next album. LET'S GET SOME <smarties>, LET'S GET SOME <ladies>, LET'S GET SOME <soft drinks>, let's get them out to Los Angeles, let's make it happen.

<Bedshaped video>
<Adverts>

Z: Er ok, you've been the States, I know you guys have spent a bit of time out there already and judging from my 'spies' out there in America, who have been emailing us and telling us about your shows, the reaction's been amazing.
R: They're probably going to burst in right now.
Z: Sounds sinister doesn't it. "Spies". No but seriously, you must be really happy with the way it's going internationally and how people have accepted the record.
Tom: It was really nice in America actually, because we were out there for, basically as soon as we released our record in the UK, we went out there - we spent a month in America - so we went back to... just down to earth basically, and had a nice time sort of playing to little crowds and small venues, and you know, feeling like we did a year ago in England, and not kinda feeling like we were getting too big for our boots or anything.
Z: It has happened remarkably quick hasn't it when you think about the level of which you've gone some of those songs in your bedroom (I know you actually literally recorded a few of songs on record in your bedroom), to actually going out playing Glastonbury and being considered by most people who were at the festival to being one of the highpoints of the weekend. You must have heard that Richard, that's what most people have been saying...
R: I don't know actually, we've been quite busy!
Z: Are you deliberately trying to keep quite oblivious to all, it to a certain extent?
R: I don't know - you've got to kinda either believe it all or believe none of it and ... I don't know. I was just watching "Meeting People Is Easy", that documentary about Radiohead *again* yesterday.
Z: Musicians, by the way, shouldn't watch that too often, it's a very devasting documentary to watch!
R: I think there's a point where they sort of stop reading what's written abuot them, and I think I'm reaching that point - I dunno about anyone else...
Z: You know, you say that, but you can't get away from us... we're in your blood. WE'RE IN YOUR BLOOD. WE DON'T LET GO. SUCK THE ENERGY FROM THE BANDS. OK, Keane on the couch with us today - you alright? Good stuff...

<Killers - Mr Brightside>

Z: We've got the whole band, it's a very snuggly scene today on Gonzo, Keane have joined us on the couch. Their album "Hopes and Fears" - many of you out there watching own it, many of you don't. Like I said - MTV2 - an audience who love to hate, so you know you: this is probably one of the most highly-rated and well-watched shows in Gonzo history. So I say thankyou very much for making that happen and coming on the couch - very much appreciated.
Now erm... I think everyone's got a preconception of you guys, judging from the music you make - and like I said, <forget> preconceptions - but let's be honest, most people think you're too nice for your own good. How, that's an issue, I don't know. But then - good lad! - out you came, and you said what you needed to say. Now we're not going to make a big deal out of this, but ultimately it's interesting isn't it? Was it just a moment for you where, where you were asked about your taste in music or whatever, and you just thought 'I'm not going to pull any punches this time, I'm just going to actually say something for the hell of it'?
Tom: Er...
Z: He's just like "please don't talk about this!"
Tom: You know, when I said those things, I probably didn't really think anybody would be that interested...
Z: Oh please!
Tom: I really didn't! It was a real afterthought, and ...yeah, anyway...
Z: Do you stand by it?........... Oh go on, stand by it!
Tom: I dunno, I don't think it's a good topic, because like we kind of said after it all sort of kicked off you know, I think we just feel that in many ways we have a lot of respect for the Darkness as a band, and we don't want to start some kind of slanging match, cos we're not into that kind of thing.
Z: You know what? These sorts of things always end up with a few beers backstage and a bit of laugh, because at the end of the day, it's not Biggy and TuPac is it? It's a few worthless(?) opinions and you guys make records, they make records, and you're already way ahead of anybody who's writing about them - because you're actually making them - so you're participating, not just commentating. So, <whatever>, you may as well comment a little bit.
R: I think we're quite proud of the fact that as a band, on our website, there's a forum there, and it's all really positive. And you know, I'd rather talk about - I don't know - Belle and Sebastian or the Zutons, you know or Delays - who I really really like...- than talk about someone who is...just...I dunno...
Z: Careful Richard! Stop, Richard! Stop...!
R: Well, you know...there are band that we really love...
Z: Let's talk about them then! Let's talk about the bands that you really love. You're in a position now where you've got a lot of audience, and they're listening to what you have to say and that will take a recommendation seriously. Are you willing to ... do you want to take those bands out on the road, do you want to help other bands come through and stuff?
Tim: Like Richard said, the Zutons are definately a band we really love, and there are a few we've been really lucky - we've not done loads of tours you know - we're pretty new ourselves to be honest, but the bands we've played with, talking about going out on the road: Bell X1, I don't know if you've come across them...
Z: Yup.
Tim: They were really really good, I hope they do well...and er, Grand Transmitter, are probably a bit (what would you call it?) more obscure at the moment - they were great, I was just thinking about that today actually, trying to work out one of their songs in my head....
Z: This is really great, this is what's really important:- great bands leave their mark by effectively helping other bands come through, and it really is a word of mouth thing...
R: Yeah, it was cool to see Grand Transmitter, I think they played on the New Bands tent at Glastonbury - I didn't actually get to see them but you know, it was cool to see that they're out there getting these gigs as well.
Z: It's a good time for music at the moment, Keane. We're going to come back, ask some questions from the Planet, and then we're going to go and let these guys enjoy their day off. What are you going to do by the way with the rest of your day?
Tim: We're gonna go and watch England play Cricket.
Z: *Cheers* Yes! Wicked! And all across the nation, everyone's like "Perfect!"

<Keane - Somewhere Only We Know>
<Adverts>

Z: 'Do you ever think about adding members to your band?' Guitars and basses, man - I think a lot of people are like "Where's the friction!?" You know? How you ever thought about doing it live, or bring it out, or even writing with that kind of combo?
Tom: ...Yes, I suppose we have. I think we just feel very happy with the way it works at the moment - we don't really know where we're going to go in the future, you know, but you never know. We also feel that there's a lot we can do with the setup that we have now - like there's a lot of places we can go with that, so the possibilities are endless I suppose.
Tim: We have a lot of bass on our record of course, which I guess that qualifies as a guitar even in my inexpert hands...
Z: No doubt, even though it's only got 4 strings... Well there are unconventional setups now - you're talking about Whites Stripes and everyone was like "Where's the bass?" and now you've got a band like "Death from Above"(?) coming out which is literally bass and drums, and it doesn't really feel like it's missing anything when you see them live or any of that kind of stuff...
Tim: That's cool.
Z: Another one...er... the comparisons to Coldplay, I'm sure you're so tired of answering that - but you're mates with them, right, so it must be a compliment right?
R: We used to play gigs with them when both of the bands were totally unknown, so to see what they've sort of done has been quite inspiring, you know, cos it's nice to see relatively normal people from England can take their music out to the world.
Z: The Music were saying the exact same thing the other day, which was awesome. It's not the kind of band you'd expect to say that kind of thing, but they said they found Coldplay to be super-inspiring, and it's really given them a kick up the ass in terms of their new record and what they want to achieve, which is cool if you're in Coldplay, it's a good thing to hear. We've got to wrap this up unfortunately, cos you guys have got to go watch the Cricket, and to be honest, I'm jealous - I'd love a day off at Lords. But anyway, a couple of quick classics question - favourite cheese...
Tom: Got to be Stilton really
R: Er...Gruyere
Tim: Yarg(?)
Zane: YARG is a first! It's a first ladies and gentlemen. We've never had Yarg on the couch.
R: You know what? I think that's Kylie's favourite cheese as well - and there she is up in the background!
Z: Ah, that's why we turn the lights off, cos otherwise people just drift off when you interviews looking at that post of Kylie behind the camera.
Tim: Yeah...
Z: Sorry, what did you say? Can we <pratt> what?
Z: Er...last question was going to be 'are you any good at Rugby' but the answer's clearly NO...
*all object*
Tom: We're not bad at Rugby actually...
Z: Well you're English, you SUCK right now
Tom: Well, we're world champions so...
Z: Well done, excellent - you win when it counts. And that could be said for your band as well:- "Keane: Winning when it counts"
Tom: It's our new motto!
Z: Thanks for coming, it's been really nice to meet you guys, congratulations on your success.

More or less.

Last edited by ChrisFlynn on Fri Jul 23, 2004 2:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Keane Forum Index -> Keane News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: